Thursday, November 17, 2005

Addicted to gaming?

According to an article at NewScientist.com, "[g]aming fanatics show hallmarks of drug addiction".

I always thought that was kind of common sense. I have certainly felt addicted to certain games in the past, and I've noticed the same behavior in others around me. But I could say the same for certain television shows or books. Almost any behaviour, to some people, will have addictive qualities.

Think about it. How often do you arrange your schedule around a favorite TV show? "Well, let's see, I need to return the library books and fill the car before 7, so I can make it back in time for Survivor." What type of stress do you feel as you struggle to meet that self-obligation? Is it an addiction, or just something you really, really, really like to do? How thin is the line?

Fortunately, there is no (or little) chemical dependency related to these activities -- it would be limited to the release of natural chemicals in the brain rather than the introduction of external, synthetic substances. It's mostly behavioural. Which means that with some self-control, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I say as I sit in front of a computer and continually check the stats of a website dedicated to 20+ years of gaming.


(via Fark)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home